Re: [VHFcontesting] FT-817/897/847 overlaod

To: Michael Sapp <wa3tts@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT-817/897/847 overlaod
From: w8zn@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 18:08:18 +0000 (UTC)
Mike and all,

Yes, an FT847/FT817 will be helped immensely by better filtering for in band
crud. One other thing to bear in mind, all these multimode/multiband rigs are
designed to cover a wide frequency range, usually 118 - 174 for VHF and 400-512
on UHF. Unfotunately, a wide front end can let in nearby pagers and commercial
stuff which can degrade mixer performance and cause the rig to be near overload
even before the kw on the next mountaintop comes on!!

While the multimode/multiband rigs are very nice and compact, they are not for
the serious contester. There just is no substitute for a good HF I.F. rig and a
good transverter. DEM, Elecraft, SSB, Microwave Modules, Yaesu FTV series, or
even a good old Hallicrafters or a Drake TC2 Even with a middle range HF rig, a
transverter combo is better.

I've owned an FT736 with the Mutek mods, a TS2000 with a different front end
filter, an IC910 and none of them come even close to a TS850 with a
transverter. For the casual operator who spends maybe 8 hrs total time in a
contest or does packpacking to a mountain top they are great, if you are
serious about really being competitive, get a decent HF rig and a transverter.
Now for my big plug, the Elecraft K3. I have two of them and I'm selling all 8
TS850's used by K8GP for the past 10 years. While the TS850 is a wonderful
radio and one of the best "war dogs" out there, the K3's DSP design, firmware
upgradability, ease of interfacing (direct BNC transverter in and out
jacks!!!), dial coverage to 24 GHz and a DIRECT line to the CEO for
suggestions/problem fixes via their reflector, it is second to none for joy of
operating. Imagine a NB that not only works VERY well but it is done in the DSP
so strong signals do not cause a lot of the problems like a traditional IF
blanker does. There is a IF blanker included and both NB's are very
configurable. I could go on and on about the K3 but check out Elecraft's web
site. The only downside is it can get pretty pricey if you start loading it up
with options but trust me, it is worth EVERY penny you pay!!

73, and Happy Holidays, wish for DX in 2010!!!

Terry