Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Use It or Lose It

To: "Crownhaven" <crownhaven@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Use It or Lose It
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:10:41 -0600
Steve,

I wondered how long it would take for someone to bring up Chamberlin. Good
Lord...

Corporate giants are hardly Nazi's--and your facts are simply in error.

It is possible to craft legislation that would be difficult to nearly
impossible to change on the whim of a politician. Take arms control for
example. In the wake of 9/11 many would have eagerly rushed forward to
building, testing, and deploying nuclear 'Bunker Buster" weapons, but well
crafted legislation made that all but impossible--even with a tremendous
amount of political will and public opinion being widely in favor of it.

So instead of wasting our time on a futile battle for every inch of ground,
why not use the time remaining to us to craft an effective compromise? Why
not help to shape our own fate, instead of waiting for others to define it.
Sure, you can wage legal and political battles and make it difficult for the
wireless providers to get what they want/need for awhile, but the cause is
doomed. Hams simply will not enjoy this spectrum forever. I'm not even sure
we have a right to try. What have we done with it?

My comment about EMCOMM simply reflects that reality as well. Each passing
year, our wireless networks are increasingly "hardened" to withstand
disasters and sudden spikes in traffic. Widespread regional failures of all
telecommunications will be less and less of a problem with each passing
year. In ten years, I imagine that they'll be all but unheard of. When/if
that happens, how much clouts will hams have then?

That's another reason why we need to act now to hammer out something long
term.

Steve--if you have another solution I'm all ears. But fighting for every
inch of ground will only doom us to failure. Our "lands" will be as small as
the Native American reservations are today. This isn't gun control, because
the vast majority of American's own guns. An even greater number support our
constitutional right to own them. But most folks are not hams. You have no
constitutional right to spectrum. You are a member of a small, special
interest hobbyist group. Fortunately for all of us, it's one that is useful
from time to time. But don't overestimate your usefulness, or the strength
of your position. You're holding a pair, not a full house.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park