[VHFcontesting] 222 or 1296

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 or 1296
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 02:12:55 -0600
My experience is limited, having only participated in half a dozen or so VHF
Contests, but I'd opt for the 222 MHz band. It's a quiet band, whose range
often equals or seems to exceed that of 2 Meters even at similar power levels
and antenna gain. Don't ask me how that could be possible, but it is--and I'm
not the only one who has noticed it.

During the June contest for instance, I was running 200 watts on 2 Meters into
a 10 element Yagi. Operating from Locust Ridge in EM63 at about 1,200 Feet ASL.
Worked K5QE, Marshall in Texas for a new grid and quite a thrill. He was weak
but very readable on 2 Meters. He reported my signal about the same. Switching
to 222, K5QE literally blew me out of the truck with an S9+ signal...then the
really amazing thing happened. He reported my signal as being the loudest he'd
heard on 222 that evening.

The thing is I was running only 125 watts on 222, into a 12 element yagi. I'm
experienced similar occurrences during other events too.

222 is literally my favorite VHF band, I only wish that more commercial
equipment was available so that we'd have more folks to work. It's easy to get
on with virtually any 10 Meter IF rig, a Demi or Elecraft transverter, and a
small amp. Hey, if I can do it, anybody can!

I highly recommend the "forgotten band" of 222. Thought 1296 is a lot of fun
too.

73

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf