Re: [VHFcontesting] where we need the security

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] where we need the security
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:23:35 -0600
>> Laughable.. the ARRL is nothing more than a big amateur radio club, you
>> think they can do anything against the likes of billionaire companies
>> like Sprint, AT&T, or others, if they want some of our frequency
>> allocations that we hardly use.
>
> Thank you so much.  Soooo many people don't realize that the League at
> the root is nothing more than a very large club.  Yes it does much
> more than any local club does.  And yes that is our only real advocate
> with the FCC.  But it is still just a club.

The ARRL is more than "just a club" because it is the primary representative
of nearly 700,000 federally licensed operators that are part of a federally
licensed radio service.  That federal license means the ARRL has to be taken
much more seriously than, say, the national association of model
railroaders.  (Nothing against model railroaders, but they are not
licensed.)

Having that federal license also requires the FCC to protect your interests
regarding interference from non-licensed devices.  The "billionaire
companies" pushing BPL found that out last year, even though it took a
federal court case to "remind" the FCC of their legal obligations.

That Amateur Radio is a federally licensed service also establishes the
priority of federal law over local and state law, which we all know would be
much less accomodating.

By selling the ARRL short as a "hobby club", you sell yourself and the
Amateur Service short, as well.

73, Ward N0AX