Re: [VHFcontesting] Oops... nevermind

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Oops... nevermind
From: Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:45:44 -0700
Hi Duffey, liked your stories from the Rocky Mtn VHF mailing list on
your January activity.

APRS: Correct. There's more.  Let's see if I can articulate this
correctly...

Rovers can transmit APRS coordinates, never through a digipeater.

Only the Unlimited Rover Class can use the data coming the other direction.

Also be cautious, some rover classes can only have one transmitter per
band at a time... if your APRS is on VHF, it must be OFF when you're on
VHF SSB, of course... (silly, but them's the rules...)

Only multi-op stations may look for rovers this way (although I'm sure
this is likely abused or misunderstood by single-op fixed stations in
some cases).

Hopefully I didn't screw all that up... I had a number of discussions
with ARRL HQ (and have them archived just in case their opinion decided
to change for no good reason! HA!)... a couple of years ago.  I don't
remember if Sean was in place at that time, or if it was someone else...

Nate WY0X