[VHFcontesting] 70CM Restrictions

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 70CM Restrictions
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:20:09 -0600
There are a few weak signal operators, and even one or two FM guys who are
running a lot more power than this in Central Alabama, which looks to be within
the restricted zone based on the 10 year old map. My guess is that if there
ever was interference from these operations, it was short lived (during a
contest, for example) and went unnoticed or at least uninvestigated by the Air
Force.

440 FM Repeaters in this part of the world are virtual "ghost towns". In fact,
other than moving FM-only contacts up to 440FM for more points, I don't think
I've ever had a simplex or repeater CQ call answered here.

For myself, it's not much of an issue. Running 100 watt brick and with these
indoor antennas, I'd be lucky to ever be detected at the Air Force base! (ha,
ha) I do understand that it's a legitimate area of concern for many of us
though. Like HOA and deed restrictions, it has the effect of reducing activity
and that's bad for all.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park