[VHFcontesting] Spotting exists in VHF Contests

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Spotting exists in VHF Contests
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 13:41:46 -0700
I rove in the VHF contests. To me, it is clear that spotting occurs in VHF
contests, at least on 6M and is useful. It is easy to see when you have been in
a grid for a while, Es is in and the rate has dropped, but is still consistent.
All of a sudden I will get 4 or 5 calls in a row. Often from the same grid
square. I always attributed that to being spotted. I recall operating in DM86
in the June 2008 contest. Six was open with Es, but a station in Southern CO
called. I worked him and we went up to 432. I called on 2M before returning to
6 and worked a couple more stations and moved them to 432.  Ten minutes or so
later I returned to 6M, on the same frequency I had left and found a station
calling me. I worked him, but the only reason I can figure out that he was
calling me on that frequency was that I was spotted on that frequency.

Being spotted is very useful to rovers, as we change grids, locations, and
frequencies frequently and the casual op may not realize that we have changed
locations and that they can work us again for an additional multiplier.

I suspect that spotting in VHF contests is one area in which the local over the
air packet clusters outshine the web based ones though. - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey