Re: [VHFcontesting] Need some non-contest microwave info

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Need some non-contest microwave info
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:28:04 -0600
Hi Chris,

You could throw together a simple diode sampler using a 1N5711 or
HP2800 diode. I actually made a couple of these, using HP2800/1N5711
for up to about 2 or 3 GHz and an HSMS8202 for up to 10 GHz, built
right on an SMA connector. There's an example circuit here (Figure 4):

http://www.sonic.net/~n6gn/hr88/a2/article2.html

Another option is to get an all-band power meter (ABPM) from Down East
Microwave. But if you only want to tell if there's RF present, the
simple diode detector works fine over the range of 0 to +20 dBm from
my experience.

73, Zack W9SZ