[VHFcontesting] Rover Liason Frequency

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Rover Liason Frequency
From: specrisk@aol.com
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 12:20:29 -0500
 To the list- I do not know whether this concept has been discussed before but
I wonder if it would be a easy way for a fixed or portable operator could
occasional check this frequency (What ever frequency could or would be  chosen)
to see if rovers are within range. It could be on multiple bands but I would
think just one band would probably be adequate. Perhaps 144.270 or 275 or
higher by spacing of say 10 KHz used in the same fashion as the Microwave
liason frequency of 144.260 is used during the 10 GHz contest. In that contest
stations meet on 144.260 and QSY up or down usually in 10 KHz intervals. It is
hard enough to find rovers because of pointing problems. I know there have been
some sophisticated methods of locating them discussed but sometimes simplicity
works well. This method may be in use already  for VHF contests but I am not
aware of it. I suspect some of the rovers with MW capability use 144. 260 in
this fashion but there are  rovers with the 3 or 4 lower band
 s that might not use 144.260. I wonder if there was consensus on  a "Rover"
specific frequency that it would net more activity. There could be a "low end"
frequency and perhaps an FM upper band alternative?
George, W1JHR