[VHFcontesting] Additional VHF contest awards

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Additional VHF contest awards
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:36:44 -0700
In addition to re-instituting single band categories here are a couple of other
suggestions to increase activity.

In the 50s, when the VHF club competition started, in addition to the gavel
awarded to the club, a certificate was awarded to the station in each club
submitting the highest score. Perhaps this practice could be revived? It would
increase participation in the club competition by giving entrants identifiable
local competition for an award. W9KGA has shown that club competition is one of
the major drivers of VHF contest activity.

A certificate for the rover who activates the most grids would also serve as an
incentive for Rovers to visit more grids.

In general, too many categories and too many awards dilutes the meaning of
them, so in general I am against category proliferation, but I think that the
two above suggestions are awards for significant accomplishments which would
increase participation.  - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey