[VHFcontesting] W1RT + ON4IY /R preliminary report

To: "(Radio) VHF Contesting" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>, Microwave <microwave@lists.valinet.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] W1RT + ON4IY /R preliminary report
From: "John D'Ausilio" <jdausilio@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:19:23 -0400
It was a fun rove, and typical in that we had our share of frustrating
unexplainable problems .. some of which we figured out and others
which remain a mystery :)

We got a late start due to my neglecting to research the route to West
Rock via 95 instead of the parkway, and when we finally did arrive we
found absolutely nobody on any band other than 6. I don't like to
complain, but it kinda sucks to rove when 6 is open .. we don't have
the power or antennas to be able to take full advantage, and we have
limited time in a given spot, which means we work very little. We did
manage around 50 q's (11 of them on bands higher than 6) and 17 or 18
grids, but most of those were lost to the one and only computer crash
of the weekend.

We then decided to switch FN30 and FN20 on the route, and headed to
Sandy Hook. Again there was little activity. Ditto Eagle Rock.

We headed for stop 4 at Pimple Hill but needed to stop at the CCX
operation on Camelback to install a replacement mixer for 24G, which
unfortunately didn't fix the problem .. ended up working CCX and a few
others and heading to sleep location in Hazleton.

Sunday was much better .. 6 was normal, lots of business from FN10 and
FM19 though we had problems on 903/10G and 3G was totally dead.
Hogback was fun once everyone returned from dinner, we stayed busy
there right to the end.

We managed to dodge most wx throughout the weekend, and the jitney ran
fine. I did forget to swap out my old ezpass for the new one, so lots
of pictures of my license plate are currently circulating around the
ezpass servers :)  Hopefully we'll be in better shape for Sept ..
scores to follow once I merge but it's well below 100K, maybe 220 qs?

de w1rt/john