[VHFcontesting] FW: CQWW VHF N8RA SOAB LP

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FW: CQWW VHF N8RA SOAB LP
From: "Chet S" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 17:53:20 -0400
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: N8RA
Operator(s): N8RA

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: FN31   CT
Operating Time (hrs): 14
Radios: SO2R

    6:  224    90
    2:   63    18
-------------------
Total:  287   108  Total Score = 37,800

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

The contest got off to a good start with reasonable activity, 36 stations
went into the log the first hour, and almost as many more the second hour.
The bands were stretching out during the second and third hour with some
stations over 300 miles away making it into the log on both 6 and 2M.

For once, Murphy screwed up and hit me with a thunderstorm while I was
taking a supper break.

The fickle E's on 6M teased me on Saturday evening - some stations easy to
work, some could not hear me, other locals working stations I could barely
hear, and those same stations asking for fills that I had no trouble
hearing. It was quite a mix that required persistence to make progress. Not
surprisingly, when the E's were in on 6M, then 2M was vacant.

Listened a bit for WSJT activity after 11 pm local time here, and called a
while on 2M, but heard nothing.

Decided to sleep in Sunday morning, but Murphy tried to sneak up on me by
sending more awesome lightening storms through about 3:30 AM. Yikes, that
was not predicted, and I had left the antennas connected, so I made a quick
dash down to the shack to unplug and shut everything down.

The 6M E's on Sunday were in more solid for a longer period of time, but had
long tails at the beginning and end when only a couple of distant
powerhouses were being heard with good signals, but no other skip stations.
Staying with it though, I was rewarded by many new grids and 2 Q's to
W7-land which I believe were double hop. Those were a real treat while
CQing.

I did not get around to some planned station improvements; well, there's
always the next one. All the station equipment worked , nothing broke. I
really like the shorter time period of this contest which makes it easy to
take the time to operate it without upsetting the rest of life too much.