[VHFcontesting] Rover Data

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <n7sc@charter.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Rover Data
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 20:04:50 -0700

Of course the limited rover is going to expand because of the lower impact of
grid circling has on this group,  traditional (classic) is dropping because of
the poor fix and follow through to get to the root of the issue of two
different roving styles competing in 3 categories without really addressing the
difference in roving behavior.

For now on a small group will win all 3 roving categories when they choose to
work each other for most of their QSOs and multipliers.  The only way to
compete is to copy this behavior and do it slightly better.

I do not participate anymore in this.

I sold everything above 432 except 1.3 ghz.

I sold most of the amps and dishes.

What's the point of working so hard to hand out high band contacts to the folks
at home when I'm going to get trounced by a dozen of lunch box stations owned
by one ham working each other line of site  across a field that happens to have
a grid corner on it to post a score exponentially higher than a fella that
hauls his stuff up to mountain tops, and spends hours trying to eek out a 400
mile QSO.

The ARRL has created the biggest disincentive for anyone to take the high bands
out and work stations they can not see with their own eyeballs by continuing
the status Quo and continuing to ignore the previous VUAC recommendations on
attempting to separate the two styles of roving.

I won't beat this to death, it's the ARRL's baby and if the measure of value of
spectrum is creating QSOS in repeated line of site contacts done with tactical
skills of a synchronized swim team, then I have a different perspective of
value.

k3uhf