Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover Power

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover Power
From: "Michael Sapp" <wa3tts@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:34:16 -0400
Hi John/w1rt & All:  Interesting on the Covus lithium batteries.  Last fall
I came across a set of Concorde RG-390E aviation batteries at a local
hamfest for $8 each. These are 24V nominal 28AH units, which weigh in at
62lb each but can power lots of commercial 24 and 48~50 volt equipment. The
batteries hang in around 26.5 volts each. Data sheet....

http://www.concordebattery.com/pdfs/RG-390E.pdf

So my suggestion is to make acquaintances with the mechanic(s) and avionics
tech(s) at the local county airport(s). They are required by the FAA to
change batteries after so many service hours, so it may be possible to get
some affordable 24 and 48~50 volt power solutions for rover service. I wish
I would have gotten the 'gents card whom I purchased these 24v batteries
from. If I see him again, I'll be sure to get his contact info....73

Mike, wa3tts