[VHFcontesting] The new CQ WW VHF contesting rules

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The new CQ WW VHF contesting rules
From: Marshall Williams <k5qe@sabinenet.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 02:07:22 +0100
Hello to everyone on the list...for some reason, this topic has been
playing out on the VHF reflector.  Several hams have pointed out to me
that this rightly belongs on the VHFContesting reflector.  I am cross
posting this, so that everyone will be informed.  Please check out the
new CQ WW VHF contest rules.  I think that they are great...others do
not agree.....

73 Marshall K5QE

Hello Jay...If it were up to me, anyone would be able to spot themselves...or
anyone else, in ALL VHF contests.  This was the proposal put forth by
Russ-K2TRK.  There would be no separate classes for
"Assisted" vs "Non-Assisted"....everyone would be able to spot themselves or
anyone else.  As Russ put it, "Anyone would be able to do it".  There are now 3
worldwide VHF contests that allow a station to spot themselves(there may be
more)....giving Call, Frequency, and sequence ONLY.  The are some regional
contests that allow this same approach.  I believe that this is the correct
method and will be adopted more and more in the future.

I did not write the CQ rules, but they are magnificent compared the the stodgy,
legacy HF rules of the ARRL affairs.  You have said that you don't like the
digital modes....OK...that is fine with me....don't use them.

In any case, I believe that VHF contesting should be about making the maximum
number of contacts possible(considering your station, the other station,
propagation, whatever).  VHF contesting should NOT be about bumbling around in
a dark room and hoping that you happen to bump into another station just by
luck.  With the digital modes, it is important that there be some way to "find"
other stations to work.  HF methods(tuning the band, CW skimmer, whatever) will
not work.  So it is
quite possible for several stations to be available for contacts, except that
you will never know about them.

I think that CQ made a finely crafted compromise.  Self spotting is needed for
the digital modes, but it is not needed for the normal SSB/CW modes.  Also,
remember that 90+++% of the contacts made are SSB/CW.  This compromise
represents half a loaf to those that favor the old HF methods(for SSB/CW) and
half a loaf for those that want to use the new digital modes.  I am certain
that it will result in a LOT more activity--especially in the late night hours
when, in the past, there was nothing happening.  And for me, and many others,
activity is what contesting is all about.

73 Marshall K5QE