Re: [VHFcontesting] W6XM CM93 -- ARRL June 2011

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] W6XM CM93 -- ARRL June 2011
From: "John Weaver (W6XM)" <w6xm@w6xm.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:37:07 +0000 (UTC)
The trip and contest went great. At the last moment we invited our friend (but not-a-ham) Brian to go with as we had an extra seat on the plane. He acted as porter, chef, antenna raiser and photographer. He contributed at least as much as Eric and I.

The flight on Channel Islands Air was spectctular. We were on weather hold for a while, but we made it out. The pilot pointed out at least a dozen blue whales off the coast of Santa Cruz Island. A few minutes later he slowed the prop, turned the controls, we floated out of the sky and touched down on the dirt strip in one of the smoothest touchdowns I've ever experienced.

We operated from a hill that forms the northern half of the valley that the campground is in. For six meters we had a five element yagi at 15' at more or less a 60deg beam heading. The two meter antenna was also at 15' on it's own mast with the 432 bouncing between the two as we tried to figure out what to do with it.

I've already received one qsl card and I am working on the design for ours using pictures that Brian took during the weekend we were on Santa Rosa. We made sure to get a shot of the gps displaying CM93xx as we had a few incredulous callers that doubted that we could be in that grid.

We had fun, had a great contest and everyone came home safe. Now that we know more about what it takes to do a DXpedition, even a mini, we are thinking of ways to improve. More at http://w6xm.org/2011.jun-vhf/

---
Bands   QSOs    Value   QSOPts  Mults
50      90      1       90      51
144     35      1       35      11