[VHFcontesting] Looking for 2M Amplifier

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Looking for 2M Amplifier
From: Patrick May <blackandredwarrior@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:57:32 -0700
I hope that it's ok to ask this question on this list. If not, please excuse me.

I'm starting to get into the week signal vhf/contesting arena and
starting to look at amplifiers. I have started doing the rover bit and
plan on staying in the Limited class so something that's not more than
200 watts, so basically some kind of brick. Next up will probably be a
UHF brick, so if you want to throw in a recommendation for that I
would gladly take that. I'm looking at a budget of roughly $500. I
know you get what you pay for so I'm willing to put some investment
into it.

I'm currently running an FT-857D (with no plans on changing) and am
looking at moving to some kind of Yagi setup (currently use a friends
stacked pair of HO Loops on 144 & 70cm.) Seems a lot of the reviews I
find are for amps that are no longer in production or that are better
used as boat anchors. Though I'm not completely opposed to purchasing
used, but it's the uncertainty of what you're getting and that it
works 100% that has me a little worried. An amp with an internal
preamp or an external preamp is fine. I've ordered a sequencer kit
just to put together and debating a couple of different preamp kits.

The amp will be used mostly in the shack but will go out mobile when
I'm roving or used on a hilltop somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

--
Patrick May
K6BRW