[VHFcontesting] K7XC/R 6M KW Rover - Final Leg Home

To: "'VHF REFLECTOR'" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] K7XC/R 6M KW Rover - Final Leg Home
From: "Tim Marek" <K7XC@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 17:58:52 -0000
We left my buddy's electronics lab with the IC-PW1 still dead. It was then
we pointed the truck home.

Our route took us through
EM12/13/03/04/DM94/95/85/74/75/65/55/56/57/58/48/38/39/29/28/19/09....

I CQed a dead band at the start of our trip then we had some single hop Es
beginning in EM03 to a large
part of the MidWest & Eastern states. It lasted long enough for us to hand
out EM04, DM94, DM95,
and sadly faded just as we entered DM85...

All further attempts to make contacts were pointless as the band remained
dead. We safely arrived home
Friday afternoon and promptly slept for 3 to 4 hours Missing the first Es
opening to DL88. Thankfully
the band did open enuf on Saturday to snag K5N in DL88 but N5K was nowhere
to be found. Later
we learned they were on EME which is a shame as ES has been so rare this
Summer.

Why didnt I try 441a some may be wondering? That would have been possible
sure but it was
just too much to setup and operate that mode as well while mobile. The heat,
humidity, long miles
and crossing 3 time zones left both of us for most of the trip feeling dead
tired and constantly unable
to catch up on our rest. Never before has a trip been so demanding or left
me so spent.

Thanks to All who followed our attempt to activate the 56 grids on our
route. It was very disappointing
to CQ a dead band for nearly 8 straight days while visiting many many rare
ones. At least we had
some luck on the 4 days it took to get home...

The 6M KW Rover trips have available a special color QSL card. Be sure to
include a SASE when
you send your request to my call book address and please be patient as it
may take a while to get
current on all the QSLs recieved.

73s and thanks for all the support de Tim - K7XC - DM09nm... sk