Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ VHF contest and Ping Jockey

To: Tom Carney <wa4qvq@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ VHF contest and Ping Jockey
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:55:44 -0500
Hello Tom....This "problem" should be addressed directly to someone in
charge at CQ.  Now that Gene-W3ZZ is an SK, I don't know who that might
be.  However, John Lindholm-W1XX signs the certificates and was
instrumental in forging the new rules.

Last year was the first year that the new rules were used and there was
no mention of this "problem" afterwards.  The people in charge certainly
know how PingJockey works.  I believe that they have arranged for
archival copies of the PJ posts during the contest period, so that they
can look for violations.  IF there were a "problem", one would assume
that some mention would have been made after the contest OR in the rules
set for this year. Hence, I believe that this is a non-issue.  However,
only someone like John can make this "official".

The point of the new rules is to allow all stations to see the spots,
but to prohibit "real time scheduling" and / or "coaching" of other
stations...what CQ calls "Interactive Assistance".  Everyone can look,
but only digital stations calling CQ can post. These new rules are as
close to Nirvana as it gets for VHF contest rules.

Last year, I found that running the CQ WW VHF contest was SO much easier
and SO much more productive than the ARRL contests.  It was easy for me
to find stations to work on MS and it was easy for others to find me.
This makes for more QSOs....which is after all, the entire point of
contesting.

I will be on next weekend running hard during the CQ WW VHF contest.  I
hope that I can get you in the log...IF the propagation on 6M will "do
the right thing".....I will also be available on 2M MS and when the moon
is favorable, I will be looking for 2M EME contacts.  When appropriate,
I will post on PJ and the N0UK EME-1 page.  Look for me there.....

The best of luck to everyone in the contest....

73 Marshall K5QE