Re: [VHFcontesting] PA Question - corrections

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com, Tom Holmes <tholmes@woh.rr.com>, u1004467@warwick.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] PA Question - corrections
From: George Sintchak <wa2vnv@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 01:31:43 -0400
I was just re doing the numbers when ur email came in....

I made a (common) mistake in the case #2 calculation. I should have known better - but it's late.
The Gain number(s) should be Power Gain NOT dB gain.
You have to convert the dB to Power Gain to use in the equation and then back into dB's.
G = [10^(dB/10)]
10 dB becomes [10^(10/10)] = 10^1 = 10
20 dB = 10^(20/10) = 10^2 = 100
7 dB = 10^0.7 = 5.01

And you did the rest of the calculations.
Tnx for seeing my error

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Holmes" <tholmes@woh.rr.com>