Re: [VHFcontesting] Why not a list of FM "contest" calling freqs?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Why not a list of FM "contest" calling freqs?
From: Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@rlburns.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:58:27 -0500
At 12:43 PM 12/13/2012, Marshall-K5QE wrote:

The issue of letting the ARRL "publish" specific FM frequencies for contesting purposes was discussed in the VUAC forum at the SE VHF conference. Surprisingly, there was resistance to this idea....some from the audience, some from the VUAC members themselves.

Why the ARRL refuses to "recommend" any frequencies is just beyond me.

I think you answered your own question. Apparently, the VUAC recognizes that the use of simplex frequencies on 2m and above is very dependent on local practice. A recommendation that works in one part of the country may run smack dab into heavy local usage in another part of the country. And, even if the VUAC were to clearly indicate that they were making a _recommendation_ some inflexible hams would interpret it as a _rule_.

Bob...