[VHFcontesting] ARES Groups Seizing on New "FM Only" Category in VHF Con

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, "Sean, KX9X Kutzko" <kx9x@arrl.org>, "K1CE@cfl.rr.com" <K1CE@cfl.rr.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] ARES Groups Seizing on New "FM Only" Category in VHF Contests
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 11:30:46 -0600
Thought I'd share an e-mail that I received from our local county Emergency Coordinator (EC) today that showcases how some ARES groups are planning to use the new "FM Only" category that ARRL recently added to VHF Contests.

We'll have several groups activating a "mini-Simulated Emergency Test (SET)" during the contest, opening up Emergency Operation Centers (EOC), and even doing some hilltopping.

Hopefully more ARES groups will spread the word, and see this as an opportunity to test their FM Simplex capabilities, which are so important in an emergency.

*Les Rayburn, N1LF*
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park Maylene, AL 35114
6M VUCC #1712
Grid Pirates #222
Life Member Central States VHF

WPC4LF Popular Communications Monitor ID

Just a reminder that the ARRL VHF contest is coming up, see details below. I would like to use this opportunity for some needed ARES testing/training, and would like to have the EMA and Red Cross stations manned for at least part of the time. Do I have any volunteers for those tasks? Please e-mail me.

Also, if any of you plan to "hilltop" as rovers, I'd like for you to contact me. I'd like to use the opportunity to see our capabilities by having you report location, frequency, power used, antenna type, contacts made (plus distance, if possible), etc. If you can help me out on this, please let me know.

I want to do a mini-SET during the contest, no scenario as such, just testing our capabilities regarding simplex-only work. The plan is to have as many folks as possible working as category 3.1.5 - FM Only, or any of the 3.2 - Rover categories. Contest rules in PDF format can be found here <http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Contest%20Rules%20PDFs/2013/2013-JANVHF-Rules.pdf>.

Please let me know if you can participate, and how.

Thanks for all that you do for Shelby County!

--
*/73!/*
*/Terry Dillard, KI4YZI/*

//