[VHFcontesting] The World Above 1 THz

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The World Above 1 THz
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:00:19 -0600
I plan to make a couple of contacts over the weekend  using either
my modified Ramsey Laser Communicator kits, or an IR based SMS text messaging child's toy that we "beefed up" with some lenses to increase the range a couple of years ago.

(Nice way to add a band. The toys cost less than $10 bucks for the pair on ebay. Found the lenses at a yard sale. Cheap tripods at the flea market. Total cost was under $50 bucks! Range was out to about 1/2 mile when we stopped testing)

You can even program in macros to speed up the exchange. It's fun to point them at someone that you have to squint to see and then watch the LCD screen as the callsign and grid exchanges mysteriously appear. The hardest part was removing the LED from the printed circuit board, and figuring out how to make the mechanical support to place it in the focal plane of the lens. It isn't pretty, but it works.

Just wondering if anyone else will be active on either Laser or IR for the contest? I keep hoping someone will make a kit or low cost device that would encourage more hams to experiment with these "bands". The Ramsey kit isn't high performance, and everything else falls into the category of homebrew.

I searched eBay for hours looking for some kind of child's toy that would allow you to "talk on a beam of light" or otherwise communicate with laser or IR. My hope was to find something to modify for ham use. That's how I found the IR based SMS Text messengers. Cheap, but again the performance is poor. Other than that, I found a 1950's toy called "Astro-Vision" and the Ramsey kits.

Anyone else know of other devices that I may have missed? It would be great to find something off the rack that offered performance out to a mile or so.

See you in the contest and if you're in the neighborhood shine a light---maybe someone will answer!

*Les Rayburn, N1LF*
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park Maylene, AL 35114
6M VUCC #1712
Grid Pirates #222
Life Member Central States VHF

WPC4LF Popular Communications Monitor ID