[VHFcontesting] contest weekend

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] contest weekend
From: Roy Crosier <valvetimer@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 06:28:48 -0500
Two comments:

First, I remember when a football game weekend meant that there were more
hams on the air, not fewer. When I was first licensed in 1967 I looked
forward to big sports weekends so I could get more contacts out of my poor
equipment. I would still rather see a house built or a barn raising than a
major sports presentation.

Second, the fourth weekend in January seems to be gaining some traction as
the Winter Field Day. I'm not sure the ARRL appreciates that effort yet,
but if it gets popular it could become a major player on the radio
calendar. (Might take a decade.) Winter Field Day and VHF contesting might
be able to enhance each other rather than detract from each other.

Roy AC9DN