Re: [VHFcontesting] The January Contest

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The January Contest
From: "Kutzko, Sean, KX9X" <kx9x@arrl.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:11:17 -0500
Hi Phil (and everybody else)-

Greetings from the Baltimore airport.

My opinion on time changes: It seems moving it to 0000z Saturday puts a lot of
burden on the Rovers. Either they take the day off of work to get ready, or
they race home after work to get prepped for the start very quickly. In colder
climates, starting a rove at night doesn't sound very thrilling to me. That's
just my opinion. I guess it boils down to whether any given rover would prefer
to be tired up front or tired at the end of the event(or both).

There's the propagation wildcard, too. If there's no enhancement on 6 or 2 at
0000z, between a slow evening start and the overnight, you're going to enter
the contest with a lot of dead time right off the bat. WSJT might cover some of
that... maybe.

As a fixed station, my personal preference would be to leave the times alone.
It provides the rovers a chance to get a good night's sleep before the contest
and allows time in the morning for me to do other things (sleep in, do stuff
with friends/family) before the event starts.

I suppose there could be some merit to starting it at, say, 1200z or 1500z
Saturday. 1200z seems awfully early to begin a rove on the West coast, though,
and they're not going to work a lot of folks... I doubt many casual ops in
W6/W7 are going to get up at 4am Saturday to start the contest.

Your mileage may vary...so to speak.

73,

Sean Kutzko KX9X
Contest Branch Manager
ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio
225 Main Street
Newington, CT  06111 USA
(860) 594-0232
email: kx9x@arrl.org