Re: [VHFcontesting] rovers

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] rovers
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 17:16:47 -0600
Depending on how you set up the group, it can be relatively spam-free.
Although it can be a bit of work for the moderators at first,
requiring approval of a moderator to join (perhaps with a brief note
on who you are) will keep almost all of the spammers out. In addition,
keeping all new members moderated until they post something on-topic
for the group can minimize spam to the whole group. But that's a LOT
more work for a large group; better if you expect less than 50
members. But if you ask that each new applicant include a note telling
you of his callsign and interest, it goes a long ways.

I am the owner of a mailman.qth.net group. I guess most
mailman.qth.net groups have been plagued by spammers lately. I put a
note on the page for the group asking that people include their
callsign in the membership request. I also noted that I would only
approve membership for either someone who had included a ham callsign,
a note about their interests, OR a recommendation from an existing
member. I've been deluged by membership requests over the last few
months that simply have an e-mail address (no ham callsign) and a name
I don't recognize. Last night one of these e-mail  addresses sent 10
(!) membership requests, every one with a different name! I think it
is a robot that is sending these. Interestingly, they all seem to be
Yahoo e-mail accounts.

73, Zack W9SZ