[VHFcontesting] EN39 on the air on 6m de KC8QVO/VE3

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] EN39 on the air on 6m de KC8QVO/VE3
From: steve d <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 09:46:08 -0700 (PDT)
All,

I have my station up and running as of about 7pm central time last night. So
far I have about 10-12 contacts logged - all during the large auroral opening
yesterday. That was quite a surprise. I have worked 2 auroral openings in all
the time I have brought my radio gear with me and the first round of QSO's this
trip was all aurora. Pretty cool.

So far my operating is concentrated around 50.125 to get QSO's rolling and
moving up to 50.130 once the pile up builds. I don't know what band conditions
will be going forward, but if things ramp up more I will inch my way towards
50.140. If there is a real big Es opening you will probably find me up over
50.200.

I have 2 stations going right now. The main station is set up in the usual spot
with a TS-2000 at 100w in to a 5 element beam up on a rotator about 35' off the
water. The other station is set up in our secondary cabin further north. I have
both my KX3 and RCI-5054DX over there, both 10 watt radios, and a Buddistick
antenna right now. I will try throwing up a dipole over there maybe this
evening.

The secondary cabin is where I'm staying at night, so I'll be away from the
beam. If the band ramps up I'll hike back up to the main station. I keep the
RCI-5054DX on, volume high, and the squelch on so if the band pops open it will
wake me up HI. If the conditions are good enough I'll switch to the KX3 and try
a few contacts, but generally speaking most of my QSO's will be out of the main
station with the beam.

If you do hear me/work me - please post up on the reflectors. VHFDX is what I
usually use but any and all of them are good.

Steve, KC8QVO/VE3