Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagiphobia

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagiphobia
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 20:59:09 -0700 (PDT)
Actually getting them to loops, or just about anything else horizontal is a big
challenge. I wonder how many people have tried getting on the weak signal ends
of the V/UHF bands with their DC-daylight radios into a 2M/70cm dual band
vertical and were not able to work anything. They then think that is what life
on these bands are like. And they fail to comprehend that they have put
themselves at a 20dB disadvantage right out of the gate. And throw in some poor
coax and it gets even worse.

It is so hard to get people to comprehend that the first 30 dB or so of RX/TX
performance improvement over those FM verticals on the weak signal freqs comes
pretty easy and pretty cheap. It is the next 10 dB after that which gets more
expensive and difficult.

Duane
N9DG