[VHFcontesting] K5QE on Assistance

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] K5QE on Assistance
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 14:34:39 -0500
I've read and considered the opinions of several operators who I respect on this topic. After considering all points of view, I've come to the conclusion that Marshall is right.

One factor that weighs heavily for me when considering different viewpoints is that I look at how the person expresses them conducts themselves across the board. And I give greater weight to the arguments of those who "practice what they preach". My belief is that the ARRL should pay considerable attention to the viewpoints of operators like Marshall, based largely on his track record of service to the VHF Community, and a strong sense of fair play.

More than once, I've struggled to work K5QE on morning enhancement or digital modes. In most cases, he quickly figured out who was attempting to call him or got piece of the exchange, but rather than simply "putting another one in the log"---he continued the contact sometimes for nearly an hour before either completing it successfully or giving up. Anyone who thinks he's motivated by some strong desire to just win contests is sadly mistaken.

Then there are the Grid Expeditions that he's mounted, and helped to finance. How many of us have benefited from those efforts? Not to mention equipment loans, EME Elmering, etc.

For these reasons alone, I feel the ARRL Directors should strongly consider his input--and the merit of his ideas.

That being said, there are those on the other side of this debate who I have a lot of respect for. They too have a long history of service to the VHF Community, and their views also deserve consideration. Jeff, K1TEO for one.

With the VUAC dissolved, would it be too much to ask that the ARRL Contest Director arrange to discuss these issues via teleconference or Skype with some of the key figures on both sides of the debate? That way, the league can be better informed to the concerns on both sides, and from various parts of the country. Making an informed decision is far better than making a knee jerk one. And people are generally satisfied with outcomes if they feel that their concerns received a fair hearing.

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light