Re: [VHFcontesting] "CQ On The Internet", Spin Doctors, and fair debate

To: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] "CQ On The Internet", Spin Doctors, and fair debate
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 00:06:23 +0000 (UTC)
I'm actually not ready to take a position either way, but I have to confess,
When George first used the "CQ" with the "spotting", I was a bit taken aback.
But like George, when I really sat down and thought about it for a few seconds,
I came to the same conclusion.

        ----- Original Message -----  From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com  Sent: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 23:34:09 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] "CQ On The Internet", Spin Doctors, and fair
debate On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 05:01:27PM -0500, Les Rayburn wrote:    > My
point is that being active in one VHF contest per year, or even fewer   >
hardly compares to the contributions of some on the other side of this   >
debate. The opposition to some form of an assisted category is   > passionate
and vocal, but most of that seems to come from people who are   > not otherwise
active. I am sorry that I am not active enough for you to think my experience
and views matter.        The other VHF contests of the year are much harder for
me to carve out  a weekend for - between kids and other non radio activities I
can not  do those contests very often.  But I do really enjoy operating the
VHF/UHF bands.  And on a cost per QSO basis my ham radio budget is  very ske
 wed on the bands above 50 mhz.  I spend more time thinking  about how to make
my VHF station better than I do about HF. If I only  had the funds to do it - I
know I could build an amazing station.   > If you study the history of the VHF
bands, you'll find that prearranged   > schedules during both contests and
everyday operation are nothing new.     I know this history.   > with success
to coordinate contacts. Some of the most competitive   > stations invest a good
deal of time in arranging skeds prior to   > contests, and trying to drum up
activity.    I am saying that it is possible to turn in contest scores without
 doing these things.  It is even possible to have fun doing   the contests
without these things.     > The problem with repeating a falsehood over and
over is that it becomes   > accepted as truth. Especially if it comes from
someone who is respected. Please tell me where I have stated something that is
false.     I will be glad to be corrected if I made a false statement or
   if I have said something that is wrong due to not understanding  the facts.
 > post announcements of digital operation. It is not to allow someone to   >
"call CQ" on the Intenet. That is a distortion of the proposal, designed   > to
encite an emotiional response.    No, the reason I called it a CQ is to show
that it is indeed   a solicitation (just a like a CQ on the radio) for
contacts.   I think it is important to make that clear.  One of the problems
with this topic is that we throw around terms like "spots" "spotting"
"announcements" and the like but I am not sure that everyone is on  the same
page as to what those mean. Is an "announcement" made one time before the
contest - like we see  on this list that I going to be on in the contest doing
X? Or is is "announcing" every 5 seconds in some chat room or many   chat rooms
or on the DX spotting system that I am on XX freq   now?   I wanted to point
out that the "announcements" that K5QE is talking  about are of the very f
 requent "I am calling on XX freq" type.        And when I thought about it - I
realized that it was really   pretty much like calling CQ.  And if that is what
most people   want to happen during VHF contests. Then I guess we should do
it but they need to understand what it is they are supporting.    >   > We have
practical experience with Marshall's proposal in both the CQ VHF   > and SVHFS
Sprints. In both cases, nothing horrible happened. Crisis   > averted. Earth
saved.        Great.    I will again say that not all contests have the have
the same rules.  I think it is great that contests are not all the same - don't
have  the same conditions etc.    --   George Fremin III - K5TR  geoiii@kkn.net
 http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr