Re: [VHFcontesting] Best VHF/UHF wattmeter

To: <Roger@G0BSU.net>, "'John Geiger'" <af5cc@fidmail.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Best VHF/UHF wattmeter
From: "Steve Tripp \(K1IIG\)" <stephen.tripp@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:30:29 -0500

John,

I had 2 complete setups of the Wavenode product with all the sensors they make. I was really impressed with the software display and the ability to control 2 rotors. I was not happy with the accuracy. I worked with the very polite owner for almost a year trying to get the sensors to be more accurate. He did some redesign but could never get a return loss which would read a 1:1. Using a good known termination the best it would read is 1:2x. The UHF 432 and 1296 were even worse. I was testing with basically the same test gear he used with an HP-437 power meter. Both of us also used the Bird43 for comparison and he did feel they are good meters. Others will disagree realizing the slugs can be off. I have found a couple and real easy to recal the slug once you get the label removed by simply soaking in goo-off. I think that some improvements were had and as you mentioned, is it all that important with a few watts difference. The Wavenode does offer a lot of neat functions that I enjoyed. Wavenode took back the units and gave me my money back and thanked me for my effort, great customer support. At this point I am not sure what is the best thru-line watt meter and I am still using the Bird 43 which I wish the slugs weren't so expensive. Those not as critical as I am will enjoy the Wavenode.

Steve
K1IIG
John,
Bird only claims 5% accuracy at full scale for its Model 43 RF power
meter, the model most widely used among the amateur fraternity. I would say
that Bird meters are widely used in the commercial world because of their
robustness and flexibility, in terms of availability of a good range of
different RF connectors and ability to measure a wide range of frequencies
and power levels.
If accuracy is important to you, then a meter with a digital display will
provide you with a more accurate 'method' of display, than that of an
analogue meter, of course, the accuracy of 'what' is displayed isn't a
function of the display itself.
You might consider products from Wavenode - http://www.wavenode.com/ which
are available in a number of different models, supporting a range of power
levels and frequencies. It's also possible to connect Wavenode meters to a
PC making it possible to monitor multiple transmitters simultaneously.
Is accuracy in excess of 5% actually that important though? Does it matter
if your transmitter is running 95w or 105w instead of 100w?