Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, "vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 17:04:01 -0800 (PST)
I think Joe is mostly correct in his observations about all the bands. While it
is really visible on 2M and up weak signal side of things, I do also see it on
the HF bands much of the time as well. And is certainly the case on the FM
repeaters too. And just like there are more V/UHF SSB/CW capable radios in the
hands of more operators than ever before, that did next to nothing to increase
activity, neither did the doubling or more the number of available repeaters to
use increased FM activity either. And even repeaters with all sorts of VoIP
technologies tied into them are still nowhere close to being as busy as the
machines that were on the air prior to 1990 were. So it really is the same
story most everywhere. And if you look at discussion group comments across just
about any technology centric hobby they all have similar compliants, so it is
not just radio.

So I really don't think that the level of VHF weaksignal promotion by the ARRL,
or perceived lack thereof has that much of a bearing on what has happened. And
there is no shortage of VHF groups all around the country who have all along,
and continue to, offer assistance to new people, and which have nets and so on
to promote activity. So that I really don't think that part of it is lacking
either. In the end I'm fairly convinced that it is not the institutions, nor
the regulations and rules that have precipitated these declines, instead it is
the people that have changed, and by no means is it just the newcomers.

DG