[VHFcontesting] Trends

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Trends
From: "Gregg Seidl" <k9kl@centurytel.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 14:05:08 -0600
I think we may be missing the key ingredient to lack of activity on some of the
VHF and UHF bands. I read a comment from one respondent that “ I built all my
xverters” . That is great and if someone enjoys that that’s even better. Most
hams have to work 40-50 hours a week and then there are the kids activities and
the honey-do list and, well I think we get the point. I just think most hams
don’t have the time to do that stuff,if they can’t plug it in and get it to
work on a weekend they just won’t do it. Most hams I know of have several
hobbies and radio is just one of them. I know I have a bunch of things I enjoy
so I have to “pick what I like best” in radio and go with that. There was a
time when working most of the VHF and UHF bands was what I enjoyed the most but
as activity on those bands dwindled I found myself wanting to work people so I
gradually got off the VHF and UHF  bands. I even sold my 2 meter gear and have
no interest in getting back on them. However 6 meter activity is growing and I
plan on getting on 6 EME because there is activity there and its my “next”
thing. I think HF is most hams constant activity and the HF ham bands are full
of activity.
I don’t mean to sound doom and gloom but all hobbies ebb and flow with active
participants.Our local astronomy club rode the technology high when computer
aided scopes made it “easy” to find all kinds of objects but now the newness
has worn off and some of those astronomers have drifted away, some have stayed
too. Same for our homebrew club.

Gregg K9KL