[VHFcontesting] Sound card interfacing, and an FT-897D

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Sound card interfacing, and an FT-897D
From: Dan Evans <k9zf@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 15:28:52 -0700 (PDT)
Rovers!  Or anyone else that cares to comment :-)

I have a Yaesu FT-897D that I have been struggling with the sound card
interface.  A few weeks ago, I ran across a good buy on a Saratoga EZ-PSK
interface so I bought it to save some time.

Unfortunately, it uses the external speaker jack and the mic plug to connect to
the 897!  My first thought was, "why would anyone build an interface to use the
mic plug when there is an data socket on the back"?  Anyway, I hooked it up and
used it work some FSK and JT65 and setup it up so I can use the voice and CW
keyer in RoverLog.

It all worked, but, it's a real PITA to keep plugging in the interface, and
then unplugging when I need to use the mic.  Particularly when using the voice
keyer...   So I rewired the interface to use the data connector on the back.

Well, the RX audio from the radio to the computer is now to low for WSJT to
pick up, even with the computer mic volume at max and the mic boost option
checked.  I know the front volume control of the radio does not effect the
audio at the data connector, but so far I haven't found anything in the menus
or manual to increase the audio level at the data plug.  Has anyone else run
across this problem?

Another major annoyance:  When I plug in the data connector it mutes the audio
to the radio speaker!  This pretty much means there is no way to use a voice
keyer...  Has anyone found a way around this?

I'm planning to hook up a couple of brick amps as well.  The CAT plug on the
back has a pin for TX INH,  TX-D, and TX-GND.  Which do you use to key your
amps?

73
Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el