[VHFcontesting] Grid Expedition Summary

To: <FFMA@yahoogroups.com>, <vhf@w6yx.Stanford.EDU>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Grid Expedition Summary
From: "Donald M. Ross via VHFcontesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 14:56:10 -0500
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times .Oh how true Mr Dickens.

1.  On the best of times:

10 grids activated with QSOs in 48 unique grids.

DM65 - 1

DM74 - 3

DM75 - 4

DM85 - 38

DM86 - 1

DM94 - 45

DM95 - 48

DM96 - 1

EM04 - 1

EM05 - 9

States worked included AZ, CA, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, NE,
NM, NV, OH, OK, SC, TN, TX, UT

151 total QSOs, 15 already confirmed via LoTW

The new generator is so quiet that I don't need to carry the long extension
cord anymore.  One less thing to pack and set up / take down.

2.  And on the worst of times:

None of the stations that I worked were on my list of those needing these
grids.

I have a fried RIGBlaster.  Got home, hooked up the spare and the system
worked just fine.  So for June, I will carry two complete 2m FSK-441 capable
systems - Radio, Computer, RIGBlaster, Cables, etc.

I have a rotor problem to chase down, but could have turned the beams by
hand if necessary.

3.  It was so frustrating that I am changing my June Contest plans.

I am now going back up there to give those grids out again.  I need to work
out the details, but expect me to start the contest probably around the
DM83/83/93/94 intersection and then drive up to the DM85/86/95/96 area
again.  Then across to EM05/06/15/16 area and then down to EM03/04/13/14.

I will carry 6m (100w), 2m (380w 9ele), 1.25m (130w 10ele), and 70cm (130w
18ele) and will be able to do WSJT on the three higher bands with no
problem, but I may not have a 6m beam with me.

More later on the rover plans.

Don, NL7CO