[VHFcontesting] CQ VHF "Assistance" Question

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] CQ VHF "Assistance" Question
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 07:06:34 -0500
Color me confused when it comes to the rules regarding assistance during the CQ VHF contest.

Let me ask this as a hypothetical question instead of re-reading the new rules again.

If I work N0IRS during the contest on 6 Meters as a random contact...just happened to hear J.D. calling CQ and worked him. If I then post that contact to the DX Maps or the 6 Meter reflector--am I in violation of the rules? Is that defined as self-spotting?

It seems to me that if that is a violation of the rules, then "allowing" all classes of operation to use the reflectors is largely pointless.

Frankly, I'd like to see the ARRL & CQ recognize that VHF isn't the same as HF. It would be great to have at least one major contest per year that allowed contacts to be "arranged" using any means available but that required participants to certify that the actual QSO was made 100% using RF.

The fact is that it would be easy to game the system, if you were so inclined, and the rules are largely unenforceable anyway. In the end, it's all about your personal honor. And most of us simply want to make as many contacts as possible. We're not interested in winning or losing, but rather having fun. More contacts = more fun.

When it's open, 6 Meters actually hurts us in this regard, because it does behave like an HF band. During an opening random contacts are easy to make. I think many of the HF contesters play on 6 Meters and think that all of the VHF/UHF landscape operates like that.

Can someone provide some clarity?

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light