[VHFcontesting] one band for UHF contest

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] one band for UHF contest
From: Pete Kobak via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 05:18:52 -0700
Newbie to contesting. Had a baby rover in the July CQ contest and it was a lot
of fun. Looking forward to the Sept. ARRL VHF contest.

Question on the August UHF contest this weekend: I only have one UHF band on my
radio (70cm), and no beam yet. Was planning on getting the beam and associated
equipment for the Sept. VHF contest, but is it worth it to accelerate my 70cm
capability for this coming weekend? I assume most everyone in the UHF contest
has many bands; would it be a waste of time for those I contact to only have
the one band? I probably would not be a traveling rover, just operate from a
single good location for a limited period of time.

Note that I'm not talking about being competitive in the contest, it's just fun
making multiple contacts on "weak signal" bands that don't normally have much
activity. My main concern is that I don't want to annoy the competitive
contesters.

Thanks!
-- Pete Kobak, K0BAK