Re: [VHFcontesting] 2M Sprint

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 2M Sprint
From: WA2TEO--- via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:38:32 -0400
Good job Ron. I was on for about 3 hours too and had 88 X 31. It was a very
 tough evening as from 245 - 330 degrees I have s9 noise. It's been bad
since May  and getting worse - this was the worst I've seen. I have one spot at
285 degrees  where the noise dropped to s7 and I used that to work most of
the QSO's to the  west and northwest - the best I could do even though that
doesn't work well  with a very sharp array, hi!

Best DX to the NE was FN44, to the North FN35 and 25, to the NW EN93 and to
 the west EN90 and EM89. Down to the south worked FM16, 17, 27 and 07. I
only  worked one FN21 (tnx Herb!), one FM19  and a couple of FN41's. No FN11,
02,  33 etc.

 My last QSO of the night was the oddest and most interesting. I  didn't
hear any DX the whole night, and in fact condx appeared to be poor (I'm  sure
the noise issue didn't help). N4QWZ, who was the only DX heard the prior
week during the VHF contest was on the chat page and wanted to give it a try.
I  had just tried with W8BYA and heard only pings. Earlier K8TQK was weaker
than  normal so nothing indicated any DX could be worked. I was about to
pull the plug  anyway do figured why not give a try with Todd though I didn't
think anything  would happen. Amazingly I heard him right away - weak but a
steady Q5. I  did hear a few meteor pings but the qso was made completely on
tropo scatter. In  fact he built up so I could still hear him even better
after our QSO   working others. That's 800+ miles on a seemingly dead band.
Just goes to show  you I should have had a little more faith....hi! And find
out what Todd is  putting on his antennas down there in TN....

Tnx to the sponsors and hope to be on for 222.

73, Jeff K1TEO

In a message dated 9/23/2014 2:45:00 P.M. GMT Daylight Time,