[VHFcontesting] Input on Initial VHF-UHF-Microwave Contest Rule Changes

To: vhf-input@arrl.org, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Input on Initial VHF-UHF-Microwave Contest Rule Changes
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 08:19:31 -0600

I'm nothing short of amazed at the forward-thinking, leadership, and courage displayed by the Ad Hoc Subcommittee, and the American Radio Relay League. As many VHF operators have long-predicted, I honestly feel that this change in the rules will have no effect whatsoever on the callsigns that grace the winners circle--but I do believe that the total number of contacts will greatly increase.

Over time, increased enjoyment, ease in making contacts, and less time spent "listening to white noise" will attract more casual operators to these contests, and hopefully help to revitalize weak signal operations on the VHF Bands.

I'd also like for the Committee to consider the creation of a Five Band VUCC Award (5BVUCC). An award of this nature would recognize the achievement of earning VUCC on five or more bands, including satellites. As a further incentive, I would recommend the creation of an "Inaugural Five Band VUCC Award" that could only be earned in the first 365 days that the award goes into effect. Rather than awarding lifetime achievements as the 5BVUCC Award would do, the Inaugural Award would start all VHF operators back at zero and give everyone a chance to earn VUCC on five bands in the first year of the award, thus earning this special edition of the parent award, perhaps in the form of a plaque or trophy.

I believe that such an award would help to inspire grid expeditions to less active grids, and encourage more activity especially on the microwave bands.

Regardless of the Committee's views on a 5 Band VUCC, I really must congratulate you on the bold proposal that is already before us. While some may object to it, the wisdom of the decision will be fondly remembered in the years to come. Bravo Zulu!

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light