Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 amp

To: <mikflathead@aol.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 amp
From: "Dave Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 13:19:40 -0000
I show very little grid current. Roughly 3000 volts .500 mill of plate current 1500 in 200 out. 20-25 watts drive Ft736 driver. Mike

Those readings seem ok. I would think that 20 watts would drive it to 500 ma. I would make sure that you could move the plate loading "plate" far away from the tube. Are you sure that the plate circuit goes thru resonance? Maybe it never does! You might check that too. Use a grid dipper or antenna analyzer. If the loading control has little effect, I would also try looking at the input with some sort of return loss bridge or antenna analyzer. You could also put a Bird 43 type instrument in and see what the VSWR looks like when you apply drive power. I remember I had a problem with my new amplifier and it was a poor connection on a ground on the input circuit around the tube socket. The input impedance changes with drive level, so a VSWR check is only valid when the amp is being driven with RF, but you should still see some sort of poorer match with almost no drive.

Dave K1WHS

----- Original Message ----- From: "mike repinski via VHFcontesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>