Re: [VHFcontesting] 6M only category & other ideas.

To: "Bill Olson" <callbill@hotmail.com>, "Jonesy W3DHJ" <w3dhj@jonz.net>, "VHF Contest Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 6M only category & other ideas.
From: "Dave Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 18:58:10 -0000
Hello Bill,
Wow, you were way ahead of me with that instant ON design. My 6M mobile rig had a 2E26. It was not instant on, but I did have a Command set for the IF at 7 Mc and an Intl Crystal 6M converter kit on a PC board. Antenna was a Saturn 6 from Henry at Hi Par. One big problem was that I had to run this in my parents car, as I could not even drive yet and didn't own a car. The next radio club meeting I go to I will push for sponsoring some sort of VHF contest. While I am waiting for that meeting, I will conjure up some wild rules that are fun. You know that we could really get carried away with some crazy contest ideas. The one idea that keeps sticking in my head is a rover contest where you only get points by working a rover. (Rovers would only work home stations) I have not figured out entirely what the rovers do for points though. The cool thing is that whenever a rover sets up, he will get deluged with a huge pileup. I am thinking that it could also be distance based with 6 digit squares. The rovers should be encouraged to move around over a small distance, say 10 miles or km. Another twist might be that they must use a different frequency at each place with no spotting. Maybe if some rover guys would e mail me with ideas, that might help. I have zilch experience as a rover. I have helped to outfit them, and have much experience finding spots for them, plotting path profiles and such, but have never operated as one! Maybe you just add up the distance points, and count multipliers from each site in a cumulative total. That would encourage short stops, and keep the homies on their toes too. I suppose that having short distances between rover stops would mean that running and gunning would not work. Vehicles would have to be stopped to make a bonafide QSO. That might also be safer too for single op rovers. So think about it... A home station would have to be constantly tuning and listening to other stations in hopes of hearing a QSO with a rover station. When he hears one, he has to aim and peak the rover up, make a contact, and then go look for another QSO in progress. Remember that home stations would not be able to work other home stations for points. If you hear another home station in a DX locality, you can work him, but you will get no points for the purpose of the contest. You could also call CQ in hopes that a rover might call you. It could definitely happen especially when a rover gets to a new spot and needs to work someone with a big signal so he can get started with his next pileup. I suppose that the home station should QSY after working that rover. This all needs to be fleshed out. Places like the midwest with RoverMania could do very well with such a contest. The rules seem to favor places that are treeless and flat. New England NY and PA among other places are at a disadvantage, as good rover sites are few with most sites tree covered. Many hills/obstructions are not accessible. In such cases stations outside of the Golden Corridor would do well to use microwaves as lack of trees and a low horizon would favor the higher bands. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Dave K1WHS
FN43mj48rr

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Olson" <callbill@hotmail.com> To: "Jonesy W3DHJ" <w3dhj@jonz.net>; "VHF Contest Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>