[VHFcontesting] IF Radio Advice - Adding On and Portable Ops.

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] IF Radio Advice - Adding On and Portable Ops.
From: Jarred Jackson <jarred.jackson@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 13:07:35 -0500
I am thinking about adding an FT-817 as a new IF radio for the rover station on
902 and above that can be easily removed and used as a liason/portable radio
for a future 10 GHz tripod mounted portable station. I would like to have the
option for 6m/2m/432 on the portable station and I have a FT-290R as the IF
radio for 10 GHz. Weight and current consumption are considerations when using
it as a liason/portable radio as this setup needs to be carried up a trail to
the final location and will be battery powered. But I am willing to sacrifice a
little weight and battery power if the FT-817 just doesn't perform well on
VHF/UHF bands. I am concerned about the sensitivity specs on the 817, but not
sure if I should be.

Are there any other IF/Portable radios I should be considering?
Any downsides to the 817 I should know about?