Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover rendezvous in Gap PA?

To: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover rendezvous in Gap PA?
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 09:36:34 -0500
Yes, the 10 GHz contest is a totally different concept than the other
VHF/UHF contests as far as Rovers go. Scoring is distance-based and the
only requirement for a rover is to move at least 10 miles from the location
of last QSO's. This eliminates "grid circling" and makes people try for the
longer distances to improve their scores. The VHF Sprints, or at least some
of them, have used distance-based scoring in the last few years.

A lot of us have had fun roving up and down the lakefronts of the Great
Lakes in the 10 GHz contest. We try to work the people on the other side of
the lake. A number of Rovers and fixed stations are usually available on
both sides. Note there is no Rover category in the 10 GHz contest. In fact,
there are only two categories - "10 GHz" and "10 GHz and Up." So you don't
have to send "/R" when you're roving in that contest.

An interesting phemonenon about the Great Lakes, or Lake Michigan, at
least, in the 10 GHz contest. The terrain along the lakefront often makes
it difficult for rovers to "leapfrog" down the same side of the lake and
work each other. I've been completely unable to work someone on the same
side of the lake 10 miles away while at the same time being able to work
someone a couple hundred miles away across the lake.

Probably if distance scoring were to be implemented in the ARRL VHF+
contests (other than 10 GHz) it would require the contest rules to be
completely revamped.

73, Zack W9SZ