Re: [VHFcontesting] Spots

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Spots
From: Phil Theis <phil@k3tuf.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 12:46:25 -0400
Hi Steve, thanks for your comments. These thoughts need to be tailored to potentially benefit the most hams. Most of us only (or mostly) work CW and SSB. The mode is a part of the spot. We are learning about the use of Grid square in the existing cluster system. You are in EM55 and I'll bet you are well within range of K4TO in EM77 (who I love to know when he is on so I can work him from FN10) so it would be valuable to know when Dave is on and where he is located frequency-wise. Also to be able to send him a message to look your way. Spotting is just the first indication of a potential contact. Like we said earlier, the chat page (room) is going to be an integral part of the overall solution. You are right about that. And the phone is always an option now that the rules allow it. As far as jamming the cluster, I highly doubt that we, during a VHF contest, will ever come close to the volume of traffic that the existing cluster manages during the four major DX contests every year. That will not be an issue, and if it becomes one, it will be a good one to solve. Filtering on the cluster node or on the logger is something that has been written about in abundance. Our local HF contest club puts out sample filter scripts before most contests. You will find lots of help in that area. If you do choose to move to New England I'm sure the guys at the NEWS group will assist you at your new location. And if you choose to build that 500 foot tower, be sure and take my tower climbing safety and rescue course along the way. We will all come down to marvel at that marvelous creation. (and I know you were kidding)
73, and thanks for the comments.
Keep them coming.
Phil K3TUF