Re: [VHFcontesting] Running a big enough station for portable operations

To: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>, VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Running a big enough station for portable operations....
From: k7xc_tx via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 09:39:52 -0500
Marshall makes a lot of valid points as always. I respect his experience and
openess.

I just want to add my experiences as well.

I have spent most of my time on the band at the 50 to 100W level, starting off
on one weekend in may of the 1990s, using a Swan 250C into a sloping dipole
atop 8400' Pond Peak above Reno NV. Running a Honda EX650 generator, the radio
in only receive would load it down and during transmit  was all the unit could
do to keep up as the voltage would sag making it chirp on cw.

Yet I stll managed to work CO2KK during that first time on the band. Soon after
I built a very economical 3ele yagi from broken TV antennas and had a ball with
it at 12 feet. Less than optimum but it played well.

Later I found myself a old FT620B Yaesu 10W solid state with an analog VFO. I
built a 100W kit amplifier and a 4ele yagi and wow what a difference!

I took that setup everywhere in Nevada, activating some extremely rare grids
(DN00, DM19, DM18, DM17, DN10, DN11 & DN01) and did pretty well. My key was to
find a tall spot with clear views in all directions, use high grade coax as
every watt counts, operate CW when the band was to weak for SSB to be
effective,  Always wear headphones when I can, and be patient.

I met my June VHF Contest parter (Dave NR6E, now W7KK) at the West Coast VHF
Conference in 1993 and we spent the next ten years going after the all time
high score from 7 land. For the first time I was running 1KW out into a 7ele
yagi at 25' using newer Yeasu driving a Henry 6M amplifier.  The pile ups were
epic, scores increased dramatically,  but it was a huge commitment of time,
money, and energy each year till I finally snapped from the pressure and ruined
a great friendship.

I then started staying at home and by how had hand crafted a huge 6ele yagi on
a 32' boom that plays extremely well.
It has been all over the country along with my 40' Tower trailer, an ubeatable
combination that plays well with only 100W. I managed to work over a dozen
European countries from NV between 2010 and 2012, again at 100W or less.

The point to all this?

You absorb good ideas from others, read everything you can on the subject,
learn and use CW as it's 16 times more effective than SSB, put up the largest
and tallest antenna you can, and make it yours. You adapt and do THE best you
can with what you got. And above all, be patient as 6M is a cruel mistress that
play only by her rules (which are always changing).

So yes bigger is better but for most of us just not possible.

Here in EM12 I just worked 10 countries over the past 3 days, some European,
some N American,  some South... It took time, diligence, patience, technique,
and above everything else, the simple act of trying! What was I running, the
back 3ele of the 6ele yagi (the front 3 elements were scavaged to make dipoles
for the HF contest season last year.) at 30' fed with 100' of CQ-106 (Best RG8
out there) fed on avg only 60W fron the 20 year old IC-746.

Did I miss the 6ele version,  Hell Yes... and once we finish moving back home
to Nevada,  it will be back to it's original configuration.

The point being, regardless what size your station, never be afraid to try.

Your mileage may vary....

73s de Tim -K7XC - EM12xu... sk

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G Android device