Re: [VHFcontesting] AM Radio Telegraph Key

To: "Steve Tripp (K1IIG)" <stephen.tripp@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] AM Radio Telegraph Key
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 07:43:07 -0600
Thanks Steve. I’ve found a few of this type over the years. The unit I remember
had a straight key and transmitter built into the key housing. There was also a
short wire antenna that came out of the back.

I remember it was MCW, because it gave a very pure tone, without key clicks
when used on the air. It made it very easy to copy the signal. Being eager to
get on the air, I had a nearby friend try to receive my transmissions from just
up the block. He couldn’t at first, but when I connected that wire to the
longwire antenna I had up for a crystal radio, he could copy my transmissions
just fine.

We spent several evenings sending “coded” messages to each other. He’d borrow
the key for a few nights to send to me, and vice-versa. Probably a violation of
Part 15, but also great fun—and I did manage to learn the code.

Thanks for this tip.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook
Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.