[VHFcontesting] 222 WAS...

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 WAS...
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 16:49:35 -0600
Hello to all 222 ops....I have decided to work very hard on my 222 WAS in 2016. I only need 20 states to finish up. That seems like a lot, but many of them can be worked on meteor scatter(MS). The rest of them will have to be done via EME.

The states that are within easy MS range are: IA, KY, SD, WI, and WY(SE corner). A bit farther out, but still reasonable, are NJ, MD, NY(some areas), and DE. Recently I worked Bob-K8VFV in MI quite easily on MS. Bob runs a single yagi(9WL) and about 290W. This shows that there are a LOT of guys that can run 222 MS out there. Burns on 222 are shorter than for 2M, but they are certainly there. On 222 MS, I run full power and a stacked pair of 23el yagis at 135ft.

There may be others that are just on the edge of MS range, that can be worked on MS or via EME. I have worked several guys on 222 EME. I don't believe that any of them had elevation....just using their normal tropo antennas on their rising or setting moon. Stations with good antennas and decent power can work me via EME....they just have to believe that they can and make the effort. On 222 EME, I have 8 x 222XP40s with full AZ / EL steering. I have worked single yagi stations using this mode also. I was able to work John-K1OR in NH who has a 17el and about 400W....so it is certainly possible.

The states that will probably require EME are: AK, CT, HI, ME, NV, OR, RI, UT, VT, and MT.

If you or someone that you know is active on MS or EME from the states above, please email me and we can "cuss and discuss" the problem. IF you need TX on 222, then we can have a WIN-WIN situation. That was the case with Bob.

I would really like to get this done this year, so please help me out if you can....

Thanks es 73 Marshall K5QE
Phone is 409-787-3830 if you want to talk....