[VHFcontesting] It was on the wall

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] It was on the wall
From: Herb Krumich via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:28:10 +0000 (UTC)
The writing was on the wall pertaining to the ARRL UHF contest.
Between seven and five years ago, activity was dropping like a rock.I actively
ran this contest, but every year I started asking myself why.You start calling
CQ with big antennas and a KW on 432, and by the end of hour one,there are five
contacts in the log.What was really frustrating was knowing how many fellow
club members, had shacks filled with equipment, and never turned it on.Major
VHF clubs had no interest from most members.When I had some health issues a few
years ago, the UHF activity was a major reason for calling it quits. I would
never have stopped VHF-UHF contesting, if I saw a solid future.Life moves on,
but I feel the ARRL made the proper call.Those complaining about the
cancellation, can only blame fellow UHF'ers. Not the ARRLThis might give CQ
magazine an opportunity to sponsor a contest. At least you would get your call
in print. But I believe, that's not worth the effort either. They have enough
trouble with their 2 and 6 meter contest, especially if 6 mete
 rs is dead. Perhaps they can expand the bands used.
Good luck to everyoneHerb K2LNS