[VHFcontesting] Log Rovers Correctly

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Log Rovers Correctly
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 17:22:21 -0600
W7QQ and I roved in his rover for the September VHF/UHF contest. When I
reviewed the Log Checking Report I found that four out of our six logging
errors were for not logging rovers with a /r. I am not sure if the cause was me
not correctly logging the stations with /r or if it was the rover for not
signing /r, or some combination of the two. But, as stations can enter the
VHF/UHF contests as both a rover and a fixed station, it is important to log
the /r correctly. I think at one time the log checkers tried to reconcile the
QSOes without the /r, but not now. And they shouldn’t have to.

So, please take care to log those rovers correctly. And rovers, be sure to sign
/r on CW or “rover” on phone. It seems obvious, but it never hurts to emphasize
it and in the heat of a contest it is easy to slip into a pattern where the /r
gets dropped on both sides. Watch for it.

Just to be clear, I am not complaining about losing the QSOes to log checking.
That is the way log checking is supposed to work. I think this is a teachable
moment, though, so I thought I would share so that others can benefit.

The log checking reports are very useful, and if you haven’t been looking at
them, I suggest you do. Many of the errors are easily corrected with attention
to detail while operating. That can increase your score.  - Duffey KK6MC
(sometimes /r)