Re: [VHFcontesting] TR-751A - Fix or Sell?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] TR-751A - Fix or Sell?
From: Jerry <jer.sieg@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 17:21:05 +0000
There are 'Replacement Pots Available' ! Go to my Yahoo group..

and I will 'sign you up' !  Lots of Info to be learned there !  73
Jerry
VE6CPP

On 4/3/2016 17:14, Stephan Greene wrote:
I have an old Kenwood TR-751A 2M multimode (25/5W 144-148 MHz).  Rig has
tone board (3rd-party), TX works fine,  and (sigh) also has developed the
SQL/RF gain control failure (probably from sitting unused for several
years).  Reception of strong FM signals is fine, but appears not so good
for weak signal CW/SSB or anything requiring low/no squelch.  I was going
to put it to use as part of a portable satellite station (extra power would
come in handy at times) and maybe some light rovering if life aligns with
the contest calendar.

The repair seems to be perform microsurgery on the SQL and RF gain pots,
bypass them with fixed resistors or a separate control outside the rig
case, or maybe replace with controls a CB shop in DE appears to have (1 in
stock, other on backorder).  I'm not particularly wild about it - radio
surgery isn't a strong suite.  I have other multimode rigs (pre-ND FT-817)
for the satellite and rovering idea.

Is the 751 worth repairing, or just sell it?  I'm going to be at the Super
Conference in Virginia, so can meet anyone eager to try a hands-on
inspection or avoid shipping depending on what happens.

73 Steve KS1G  FM18hx